Wednesday, June 27, 2012

What to Pack for 2 Months Abroad (When you have to look fancy sometimes)

Normally I prefer to pack light. The last time I was in Europe, backpacking for nearly 3 months, I fit everything I needed in a hiker's backpack, with room to spare. This time, however, I can't look like a dirty hippie everywhere I go, so I had to bring along a suitcase. Here's what I packed:


  • 6 dresses (2 semi-formal, 2 nice-casual, and 2 sundresses)
  • 2 pairs of high heels
  • 2 pairs of jeans (1 pair worn on the plane, and 1 pair crops packed)
  • 1 pair khakis
  • 2 pairs cute flats
  • 1 pair Tevas (sneakers worn on the plane)
  • 5 pairs socks
  • 1 pair yoga pants
  • 5 t-shirts
  • roughly 15 tops (I didn't count, I just threw in tops I like to wear)
  • 5 cardigans (1 bulky, 2 short-sleeved)
  • 2 pairs PJ pants
  • 3 bras (1 worn on plane)
  • 10-15 pairs underwear (again, didn't count them)
  • 1 extra-large towel
  • various bathroom stuff (everything I use on a daily basis to get ready, except for hair dryer and flat iron, which will be purchased in England)
  • 3 boxes Kraft mac & cheese (as a gift... they were requested, so... yeah)
  • 1 folding umbrella
  • 3 scarves / pashmina
Carryon luggage:
  • laptop (including charger cord)
  • 4 books (1 guidebook and 3 reading books)
  • journal
  • camera (including battery charger)
  • cell phone (including charger)
Purse: 
  • iPod (including charger and earbuds)
  • passport / ID / money
  • smaller journal / pen
  • sunglasses
  • small bag of TSA-approved cosmetics
It seems like a lot, but my suitcase comes in at 48 pounds even, just under the 50-lb weight limit imposed by Irish Ferries.  My backpack (carryon) is virtually empty, as is my purse.  I packed clothes for warm and cool weather, with many options for layering.  My purse is a Kavu Rope Bag, perfect for use as a day bag while I'm out, and my backpack is a laptop case, which I can use for my schoolbooks while at Cambridge.

I'll make a separate post at the end of my trip detailing what I actually used, and what could have been left at home.  I know I probably packed too much, but if it's under the weight limit, I figure it's better to have too much than too little!

No comments:

Post a Comment